Whether you decorate a little or go all out, holiday decorating can be fun and organized.
First and foremost, choose decorations that make you happy. Love each and every item that you purchase and use to decorate your home, office and yourself.
I saw this crazy, green feather wreath 3 years ago. It caught my eye, but I didn’t purchase it. I kept thinking about how fun it was and that I really liked it. Of course, when I returned to the store, they were all sold out. For 2 years I looked for the same wreath in stores and online. I finally gave up. Then, I was in Home Goods last December and guess what? There was the crazy, green feather wreath. I didn’t hesitate to buy it. It made me smile all season long. I can’t wait to hang it on my door after Thanksgiving this year.
Here are some suggestions to make holiday decorating fun:
1. When you unpack your decorations, set aside anything that does not bring a smile to your face. Immediately box those items up and drop them off at a donation center.
2. Decide what types of decorations you need to purchase, such as ornaments, garlands, wreaths, etc. I like to shop with a style and color scheme in mind. (Pinterest is a great place to find inspiration!)
3. Go shopping or just keep an eye open. When a decoration moves you, purchase it. Keep within a budget. Remember, everything is on sale after the holidays. So, if you really don’t need it now, you can wait. However, if you love it…buy it. You don’t want to be like me and wait two years looking for that item you really loved. I was lucky that I even found it.
4. Bring your decorations home and place them where you can see and enjoy them everyday. This will bring you happiness.
NOTE: I shop for Christmas ornaments all year. If I see something unique and special, I buy it. Ornaments go on sale after the holidays. I will pick up some on sale for me and for stocking stuffers for next year.
After the holidays are over, this is how you can keep everything organized:
1. I like to use clear bins to store my holiday decorations. Last year, I bought a fantastic wreath box at The Container Store to keep my feather wreath clean and perfectly shaped.
2. Take inventory of what you own, and decide if you need any storage solutions. Make a list, take measurements where necessary and head to The Container Store. You will find everything that you need there to keep your holiday decorations organized. Here are a few of my favorites...
3. I like to take advantage of all the sales after the holidays and save a lot of money. Consider buying all of your gift wrapping paper and tags, holiday cards, and thank you notes at this time and save them for next year. It is fun to open the box and re-discover what I purchased last year.
So have fun with your decorating. Truly love everything that you own. Keep it contained and organized until next year.
In the spirit of full disclosure, this post contains affiliate links. Please note that I only recommend products & systems that I use and love myself.